Kentucky Proposed Medication Regulations
I am sending this memorandum to request that you publish the attached notice to all horsemen licensed by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission regarding proposed medication regulations that are in the final stages of the legislative process and, if enacted, will become effective as of August 25th of this month. This will apply to anyone intending to race in Kentucky, if passed. Along with the notice, I have included updated Withdrawal and Threshold guidelines from the KHRC that would apply as part of the new regulations.
These regulations include:
- the 48-hour NSAID restriction and the ban on stacking;
- the 14-day stand-down on intra-articular corticosteroid injections and the ban on stacking;
- the 24-hour restriction on furosemide administration for 2-year-olds;
- the ban on bisphosphonate use in horses under 4 years old;
- the restriction on race day use of electronic therapeutics; and
- the medical history and veterinary examination requirements for entry.
Any questions regarding the proposed regulations should be directed to Bruce A. Howard DVM at 502-338-3730 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance for keeping the industry informed.
President, Kentucky Harness Association